Monday, July 16, 2007

A New Swear Word

In reading a story about how the Vatican's Pontifical Council of Culture has lent its prestige to a group which donated a few tracts of Hungarian forest in exchange for the title of "the world's first entirely carbon neutral sovereign state," I think I see a trend developing.

Carbon used to be known as the building block of life itself (unless you're a silicon-based Horta). But now it's the villain of all things eco-holy. Any story on the environment inevitably charges carbon (periodic abbreviation "C" - are you reading this Ed?) as the main instrument of offense, usually wielded with eco-indifference by a Republican or a Conservative. Just try a Google News search on it.

So the next time I stub my toe, I'm going to exclaim through gritted teeth, "Aw, CARBON!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but must be on topic. Spam, hateful/obscene remarks, and shameless self-promotion will be unceremoniously deleted. Well, OK, I might put on a little ceremony when I delete them.