Thursday, May 10, 2007

Lucky Me

In our bathroom we keep a little electronic poker game. It helps to pass the time when you're... you know... preparing to use one square.

Anyway, I was on a real good streak: I had full houses, threes of a kind, flushes, straights... I made more fake money in five minutes than I make real money in a day. It was incredible.

The next day I was driving to work, doing about 88 in an 80 zone. I wasn't consciously speeding, just following the flow of traffic and happened to be going a bit faster than I normally would. Suddenly a cop car zips by me on the other side of the road, and I was pretty sure he had tagged me. I watched him in my mirror as he vanished from site over a hill, but a few minutes later I see him about two kilometers back as he puts on his lights to get through an intersection. He's coming up fast, and the next thing I know, he's right on my tail, close enough to read my bumper sticker.

And then nothing. He eases off, slides over to the next lane, and lets me on my merry way.

Things happen in threes, so they say. Two sessions of good luck... so I went out that very day and bought a lottery ticket.

Did I win? Of course not. There is no such thing as some kind of grand harmonic resonance frequency to synchronize with randomly and thus cause good things to happen in our lives.

The interesting thing is, two of my numbers matched. Two sessions of good luck... two matching numbers... so the next time, I'll be waiting for six sessions of luck before I buy my ticket.

Who says a fella can't learn?

4 comments:

  1. I get flushes all the time, and I don't even play poker when I go to the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then I guess I could make some sort of comment about you having four of a kind...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have another one, you'll have a full house.

    Bah-zing. It just doesn't end with me :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely have a pair...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, but must be on topic. Spam, hateful/obscene remarks, and shameless self-promotion will be unceremoniously deleted. Well, OK, I might put on a little ceremony when I delete them.